English/Spanish blog from somewhere in La Mancha / Blog en inglés y español de un lugar de La Mancha

Welcome / Bienvenidos

Thanks for visiting us.
Gracias por visitarnos.
Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive

Monday 19 January 2015

The Giving Tree / El árbol dadivoso



Shel Silverstein

 The man in the picture is the poet Shel Silverstein and the poem below is his. We have mixed it up a bit with a translation we prepared in Spanish so you can start reading it in one language and go on reading in another and back to the first again and so on and so forth.

El hombre de la foto es el poeta Shel Silverstein y el poema de abajo es suyo. Lo hemos mezclado un poco con una traducción en español que hemos preparado para que puedas emepzar a leerlo en un idioma y seguir en otro y otra vez el primero y así en adelante. 

The Giving Tree / El árbol dadivoso

Once there was a tree.... / Erase una vez un árbol
and she loved a little boy. / que amaba a un niño
And everyday the boy would come / y todos los días el niño venía
and he would gather her leaves / y recogía sus hojas
and make them into crowns / y las convertía en coronas
and play king of the forest. / y jugaba a rey del bosque.
He would climb up her trunk / Subía por su tronco
and swing from her branches / y se columpiaba en sus ramas
and eat apples. / y comía manzanas.
And they would play hide-and-go-seek. / Y jugaban al escondite.
And when he was tired, / Y cuando se cansaba
he would sleep in her shade. / dormía bajo su sombra.
And the boy loved the tree.... / Y el niño amaba al árbol…
very much. / muchísimo.
And the tree was happy. / Y el árbol era feliz.
But time went by. / Pero el tiempo pasó.
And the boy grew older. / Y el niño se hizo mayor.
And the tree was often alone. / Y el árbol estaba solo con frecuencia.
Then one day the boy came to the tree / Entonces un día el niño vino al árbol
and the tree said, “Come, Boy, come and / y el árbol le dijo, “Venga, niño,
climb up my trunk and swing from my / súbete por mi tronco y colúmpiate en mis
branches and eat apples and play in my / ramas y come mis manzanas y juega bajo mi
shade and be happy.”  
/ sombra y sé feliz.”
“I am too big to climb and play,” said / “Soy demasiado grande para trepar y jugar,” dijo
the boy. / el niño.
“I want to buy things and have fun. / “Quiero comprar cosas y divertirme.
I want some money?” /”Quiero algo de dinero.”
“I'm sorry,”said the tree ,“'but I / “Lo siento,” dijo el árbol, “pero yo
have no money. / no tengo dinero.
I have only leaves and apples. / Sólo tengo hojas y manzanas.
Take my apples, Boy, and sell them in / Llévate mis manzanas, Niño, y véndelas en
the city. Then you will have money and / la ciudad.
Entonces tendrás dinero y
you will be happy.” / serás feliz.”
And so the boy climbed up the / Así que el chico se subió al
tree and gathered her apples / árbol y recolectó sus manzanas
and carried them away. / Y se las llevó lejos.
And the tree was happy. / Y el árbol era feliz.
But the boy stayed away for a long time..../
Pero el niño no volvió en mucho tiempo
and the tree was sad. / Y el árbol estaba triste.
And then one day the boy came back / Y al fin un día el niño volvió
and the tree shook with joy / y el árbol tembló de alegría
and she said, “Come, Boy, climb up my trunk / y dijo “Ven, Niño, súbete  a mi tronco
and swing from my branches and be happy.” / y colúmpiate en mis ramas y sé feliz.”
'I am too busy to climb trees,' said the boy. /“Estoy demasiado ocupado para trepar por los árboles,” dijo el niño.
“I want a house to keep me warm,” he said. / “Quiero una casa que me resguarde del frío,” dijo.
“I want a wife and I want children, / “Quiero una esposa y quiero hijos,
and so I need a house. / así que necesito una casa.
Can you give me a house ?”  / ¿Puedes darme una casa?”
“ I have no house,” said the tree. / “No tengo una casa,” dijo el árbol.
“The forest is my house, / “El bosque es mi casa,
but you may cut off / pero puedes cortar
my branches and build a  / mis ramas y construir una
house. Then you will be happy.” / casa. Entonces serás feliz.”
And so the boy cut off her branches / Así que el niño cortó sus ramas
and carried them away / Y se las llevó con él
to build his house. / para construir su casa.
And the tree was happy. / Y el árbol era feliz.
But the boy stayed away for a long time. / Pero el ñino no volvió en mucho tiempo
And when he came back, / y cuando por fin volvió
the tree was so happy / el árbol estaba tan feliz
she could hardly speak. / que apenas podia hablar.
“Come, Boy,” she whispered, /”Ven, Niño,” susurró,
“come and play.”/ “ven a jugar.”
“I am too old and sad to play,” / “Estoy demasiado viejo y triste para jugar,”
said the boy. / dijo el niño.
“I want a boat that will  / “Quiero un barco que
take me far away from here. / me lleve lejos de aquí.
Can you give me a boat?” / ¿Puedes darme un barco?”
“Cut down my trunk / “Corta mi tronco y
and make a boat,” said the tree. / hazte un barco,” dijo el árbol.
“Then you can sail away... / “Entonces podrás navegar lejos de aquí…
and be happy.” / y ser feliz.”
And so the boy cut down her trunk / Así que el niño cortó su tronco
and made a boat and sailed away. / e hizo un barco y navegó lejos de allí.
And the tree was happy / Y el árbol era feliz
... but not really. /…pero en realidad no.
And after a long time / Y despues de mucho tiempo,
the boy came back again. / el niño regresó otra vez.
“I am sorry, Boy,” / “Lo siento, Niño,”
said the tree,'”but I have nothing / dijo el árbol, “pero ya no me queda nada
left to give you - / que darte.
My apples are gone. “ / “No me quedan manzanas.”
“My teeth are too weak / “Mis dientes son demasiado debiles
for apples,” said the boy. / para comer manzanas,”  dijo el niño.
“My branches are gone,” / “No me quedan ramas,
said the tree.
“You / dijo el árbol. “Tú
cannot swing on them – “ / no puedes columpiarte en ellas.”
"I am too old to swing / “Soy demasiado viejo para columpiarme
on branches,' said the boy. / en ramas,” dijo el niño.
“My trunk is gone, “ said the tree. / “No me queda un tronco,” dijo el árbol
'You cannot climb - ' / “Tú no puedes trepar-“
“I am too tired to climb,” said the boy. / “Estoy demasiado cansado para trepar,” dijo el niño
“I am sorry,” sighed the tree. / “Lo siento,” suspiró el árbol.
“I wish that I could give you something.... /“¡Ojalá te pudiese dar algo…!
but I have nothing left. / Pero no me queda nada.
I am just an old stump. / Sólo soy un viejo tocón.
I am sorry....” / Lo siento…”
“I don't need very much now,” said the boy. / “Ahora ya no necesito mucho,” dijo el niño.
“just a quiet place to sit and rest. / “Sólo un lugar tranquilo en el que sentarme a descansar.”
I am very tired.” / Estoy muy cansado.”
“Well,” said the tree, straightening / “Bueno,” dijo el árbol, estirándose
herself up as much as she could, / todo lo que podía,
“well, an old stump is good for sitting and resting· / “bueno, un viejo tocón es un buen sitio para sentarse a descansar.
Come, Boy, sit down. Sit down and rest.” / Ven, Niño, ven y siéntate. Siéntate y descansa.”
And the boy did.  / Y el niño lo hizo.
And the tree was happy. / Y el árbol era feliz.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Comments are very welcome. Thank you. / ¡Hola! Los comentarios son muy bienvenidos.Gracias.

Labels

Advent Calendar/Calendario de adviento (25) Animal rights / Derechos de los Animales (6) Art / Arte (14) Astronomy / Astronomía (8) Australia /Australia (2) Authors (20) Birthdays / Cumpleaños (30) Carnival / Carnaval (4) Christmas / Navidad (36) Compositions / Redacciones (14) Condolences / Condolencias (5) Constitutionalism / Constitucionalismo (4) Contests / Concursos (2) Coronations/Coronaciones (1) Ecology / Ecología (3) Extracurricular Activities / Actividades Extraescolares (8) Feng Shui (8) Field Trips (1) Films / Películas (7) Geography / Geografía (3) Ghosts / Fantasmas (11) Grammar to Get by / Gramática para apañarse (66) Halloween / Noche de Ánimas (27) Health / Salud (2) History / Historia (30) Human Rights / Derechos Humanos (13) Inventions / Inventos (1) Ireland / Irlanda (8) Laws / Leyes (5) Legends / Leyendas (41) Listening / Escuchar (19) London / Londres (5) Maths / Matemáticas (4) Memes/Memes (2) Messages / Mensajes (4) Mini Calendar / Mini Calendario (10) Mini Mythology / Mini Mitología (77) Mini Zodiac / Mini Zodiaco (12) Mr. Eddy / El Señorito Eddy (5) Music (2) Music / Música (100) Needn´t Be Lost Causes / Causas No Necesariamente Perdidas (4) News / Noticias (25) Novels (6) Nursery Rhymes / Rimas para niños (16) Obituaries / Obituarios (6) Other Animals / Otros Animales (7) People/Gente (44) Plants / Plantas (11) Poems / Poesías (83) Poems / Recommended Reading / Lecturas Recomendadas (10) Poets/ Poetas (39) Precious and the Air / Preciosa y el Aire (4) Recipes / Recetas (19) Recommended Reading / Lecturas Recomendadas (22) Saints / Santos (22) Sayings and Saws and Proverbs and Quotes and Maxims / Dichos y refranes y proverbios y citas y máximas (9) Science / Ciencias (5) Scotland / Escocia (12) Shopping and gifts / Compras y regalos (7) Short Texts to Read / Breves textos que leer (24) Songs / Canciones (116) Speaking / Hablar (14) Special Days / Días Especiales (107) Sports / Deportes (9) Story report / ficha de un cuento (25) Tales of a Minced Forest/Cuentos del Bosque Triturado (118) Toora Chronicles / Crónicas Toora (245) Trailers (11) Valentine´s Day / Día de San Valentín (11) Vocabulary / Vocabulario (36) Wales / Gales (7) Winter /Invierno (1) Writing / Escribir (12)

Blogroll