English/Spanish blog from somewhere in La Mancha / Blog en inglés y español de un lugar de La Mancha

Welcome / Bienvenidos

Thanks for visiting us.
Gracias por visitarnos.
Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive

Sunday 15 September 2013

The Parafairy / El Parahada

Once they entered the garden of Owlwood Manse, Alpin, Arley and Alonso began to search it, the first two seeking magic pencils and the last looking forward to confronting the sinister bogeyman with the sack. 

Tras haber entrado en el jardín de la casa parroquial del bosque de los búhos, Alpin, Arley y Don Alonso comienzan a registrarlo, los primeros buscando lápices mágicos y el último al siniestro hombre del saco.

Alpin

Well, what? Spotted any pencils?

Bueno, ¿qué? ¿Se divisan lápices?

Don Alonso

I’ve spotted…headstones? Come here, lads, and tell me if I am seeing right.

Yo he divisado…¿lápidas? Venid, niños, y decidme si es que veo bien o no.


Arley

Oh, yes, indeed!

¡Uy, sí!



Owlwood Manse Private Cemetery / Cementerio Privado de la mansión del bosque de los búhos

Alpin

Don´t tell me we´re going to have to dig tombs up to find the treasures, like Egyptian grave robbers. I can´t do that. It´s not against my principles.  It´s that I’m famished and about to faint.  I’ve had nothing to eat in quite a while now, so you guys will have to do it by yourselves. There are spades in the garden shack. I noticed them while I was searching it.

No me digais que va a haber que cavar tumbas para encontrar los lápices como ladrones egipcios. Pues yo no puedo hacerlo. No es que vaya en contra de mis principios.  Es que estoy famélico y a punto de desmayarme. Hace ya rato que no he comido, así que tendréis que hacerlo vosotros. Hay picos y palas en el cobertizo. Las vi mientras lo registraba.

Arley

I don´t think these graves are old enough for us to treat them like an archeological find. I wouldn´t touch them. The most I might do is walk around them and see if there is a pencil lying somewhere about. And if I did see one, I´m not sure I would have the nerve to pick it up and take it from a place like this.

No creo que estas tumbas sean lo suficientemente viejas como para que las tratemos como un hallazgo arqueológico. Yo no las tocaría. Lo más que yo haría es caminar por entre ellas para ver si hay algún lápiz por ahí. Y de encontrar uno, no sé si tendría el valor de cogerlo y llevármelo de semejante sitio.

Alpin

The old codger will do it. We´ll tell him this is an Iberian archeological site. He might believe us. He is so worried about not knowing what he is seeing.

Lo hará el canica. Le diremos que esto es un yacimiento íbero. Igual se lo creé. Le preocupa tanto no saber lo que está viendo.

Don Alonso

I´m seeing a man with a sack. Is that so?

Estoy viendo un hombre con un saco. ¿Es así?


Alpin

Yaaaaaaah! Uncle Jumbisack himself!

¡Ayyyyy! ¡El mismísimo tío del jumbisaco!

Arley

Where? Where?

¿Dónde? ¿Dónde?

Alpin

Right there, digging a grave before our eyes. I can´t believe it! We caught the monster in the act! And in broad daylight! I want out! Where was the hole?

Ahí mismo, cavando una tumba ante nuestros ojos. No me lo puedo creer. ¡Hemos pillado al monstruo con las manos en la masa!¡Y a plena luz del sol!¡Yo me largo! ¿Dónde estaba el agujero?

Don Alonso

Calm down, children. The last time I saw something that looked like that sack it turned out to be a wineskin instead of a giant. This man´s face is quite red. He´s probably fond of a drink or two. We shall be very scientific and verify this! Hey there, sir! You of the jumbisack!

Tranquilizados, muchachos. La última vez que vi algo que se parecía a ese saco resultó ser un pellejo de vino en vez de un gigante. La cara de este hombre está bastante roja. Seguro que le gusta empinar el codo. Seremos muy científicos y lo verificaremos. ¡Eh, señor! ¡Usted, el del jumbisaco!


Uncle Jumbisack / El tío del jumbisaco

Hey! Careful what you prick with that sword! Some of us are mortal! I mean I myself and the lady I´m carrying in the sack.

¡Eh! Ojo con lo que vaya a pinchar con esa espada. ¡Qué algunos somos mortales! Lo digo por mí y la señorita que llevo en el saco.

Don Alonso

You villain! Free that lady at once!

¡Villano! ¡Soltad inmediatamente a esa dama!


Uncle Jumbisack / El tío del jumbisaco

It´s a she cat, but fine, I´ll release her. It would be better if I did it deeper in the forest. She´s feral and lives there. I´m neither a monster nor a wino. I´m a veterinarian with cuperosis. But why am I telling you all this? You should be telling me why you are invading my property.   

Es una gata, pero vale. Aunque sería mejor que la soltase en el bosque. Es salvaje y vive ahí. No soy ni un monstruo ni un beodo. Soy un veterinario con cuperosis. ¿Pero por qué les estoy dando estas explicaciones? Ustedes deberían estar dándomelas a mí por invadir mi propiedad. ¿Qué demonios hacen aquí?

Pilar, the feral cat / Pilar, la gata salvaje

Meow? / ¿Miau?


Don Alonso

Mr. Jumbisack, we have come to enquire about whatever is going on in this place. One of your neighbors had a most unpleasant experience when he accidentally fell through a chimney in this house. 

Señor Jumbisaco, venimos a averiguar que está sucediendo en este lugar. Uno de sus vecinos tuvo una experiencia nada grata cuando cayó por accidente por una chimenea de esta casa.

Uncle Jumbisack / El Tío del Jumbisaco

I see. I suppose you are speaking of a leafy that landed in a pot of my oil. Fortunately, though I had not removed it from the fireplace, it was already quite cool. It serves to cure wounds that would otherwise be mortal. But not without making the patient fall into a deep stupor, so profound that when he comes out of it he rarely remembers what has been happening for a day or so. The leafy did not rub it on. He swallowed it through the mouth and nose while swimming in it. I would have succored him if he hadn´t flown off like a bat out of hell.

Ya veo. Seguro que se trata de un hojita que aterrizó en un puchero de mi aceite. Menos mal que aunque no lo había retirado de la lumbre ya estaba frío. Sirve para curar heridas que sin él resultarían ser mortales. Pero no sin dormir al paciente tan profundamente que al despertar no recuerda nada de lo sucedido. El hojita no se lo frotó. Es que se lo tragó por la boca y la nariz mientras nadaba en él. Yo le hubiese socorrido, pero salió volando cual alma que lleva el diablo.  

By the way, I am not Mr. Jumbisack. I am Mr. Lonefellow Shyboy. My grandfather was Reverend Thomas Shyboy, which is why people call this house a manse, though  it is no such thing, for he was retired when he built it.

Por cierto, no soy el Señor Jumbisaco. Soy Lonefellow Shyboy. Mi abuelo era el Reverendo Tomás Shyboy, y por eso la gente dice que este lugar es una casa parroquial, aunque no lo es, porque ya se había jubilado cuando la construyó.

My father, Mr. Hermeticus Shyboy, only left this house once after he first entered it and that was to fetch his bride, my mother, Miss Lorna Pineaway.  They had been corresponding by mail for years and were as in love as they were misanthropic. They are buried in the garden along with my grandparents and other family members.

Mi padre, Hermético Apocado, sólo dejó esta casa en una ocasión después de haber entrado por primera vez en ella. Salió para recoger a su novia, mi madre, la señorita Solita Fallecer. Habían estado comunicándose por correspondencia durante años y estaban tan enamorados como eran misántropos. Están enterrados en el jardín junto a mis abuelos y otros miembros de la familia.

 And I was not digging a fresh grave. I was planting matico, also known as soldier´s weed. I am telling you all this instead of aiming my shotgun at you because I hope to be left well alone once your curiosity is satisfied.

Y yo no estaba cavando una tumba fresca. Estaba plantando matico, planta también conocida como la hierba del soldado. Les cuento todo esto en lugar de apuntarles con mi escopeta porque espero que una vez que haya satisfecho su curiosidad se larguen y me dejen en paz.

I use this sack to transport wounded creatures I chance upon in the forest. Once I have cured them, I return them to their habitat. I like animals better than people, be they mortal or immortal. And, yes, I am a parafairy.

Utilizo este saco para transportar a criaturas heridas que encuentro en el bosque. Una vez que las he curado, las devuelvo a su hábitat. Me gustan los animales más que las personas, sean mortales o inmortales. Y sí, soy un parahada.

Alpin

A what?

¿Un qué?

Mr. Lonefellow Shyboy / El Señor Solitario Apocado

A parafairy is a human who would have preferred to have been born a fairy person and who in consequence lives like one, and who may get to develop some magical skills out of sheer insistence.

Un parahada es un humano que hubiese preferido nacer hada y que en consecuencia vive como una y puede llegar a desarrollar algunas habilidades mágicas de tanto insistir.

My grandfather was a paraghost. He built this house so he could haunt it, because he was afraid he might never be able to haunt a place once he was dead. He had always wanted to be a practicing ghost after passing away but became a bit afraid he might not get to be one at all after having read Mr. Charles Darwin. Of course, he is now one, though it isn´t here he usually does his haunting. He prefers his old parsonage for that purpose, and there he wanders at will.

Mi abuelo era un parafantasma. Construyó esta casa para poder ejercer de eso en ella porque empezó a temer que no llegaría a ser jamás un fantasma después de haber leído a Carlos Darwin. Por supuesto, hoy sí es un fantasma con todas las de la ley, aunque no está aquí ahora porque prefiere ejercer en su antigua parroquia, por dónde vaga libremente.

 And by now your curiosity should be satisfied, so I will ask you to please leave.

Y ahora vuestra curiosidad debería estar satisfecha así que les pediré que hagan el favor de irse de aquí.

 Arley

Sir, I can´t leave until I deliver a message I have for you. But before I tell it you and if you don´t mind, I would like to know if  Pinky´s tomb is of pink marble and if matico is what I call soldier´s herb. Yes? Thank you. Your garden wall wants me to tell you that the Prime Minister has expropriated this house and plans to tear it down to build here a school that will teach fairies to understand and appreciate humans.

 Señor, no me puedo ir hasta que le haga llegar un mensaje que tengo para usted. Pero antes, y si no le es molestia, me gustaría saber si la tumba de Pinky es de mármol rosa y la planta que usted llama matico es lo que yo conozco por hierba del soldado. ¿Sí? Gracias. El muro de su jardín quiere que le diga que el Primer Ministro ha expropiado esta casa y planea tirarla para construir aquí una escuela en la que se enseñará a las hadas a entender y apreciar a los humanos.  


Mr. Lonefellow Shyboy´s reaction to this news was most immediate, though it will be a while before we can tell you about it.

La reacción del Sr. Lonefellow Shyboy a esta noticia no se hizo esperar, aunque pasará un tiempo antes de que podamos contaros cuál fue.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Comments are very welcome. Thank you. / ¡Hola! Los comentarios son muy bienvenidos.Gracias.

Labels

Advent Calendar/Calendario de adviento (25) Animal rights / Derechos de los Animales (6) Art / Arte (14) Astronomy / Astronomía (8) Australia /Australia (2) Authors (21) Birthdays / Cumpleaños (30) Carnival / Carnaval (4) Christmas / Navidad (36) Compositions / Redacciones (14) Condolences / Condolencias (5) Constitutionalism / Constitucionalismo (4) Contests / Concursos (2) Coronations/Coronaciones (1) Ecology / Ecología (3) Extracurricular Activities / Actividades Extraescolares (8) Feng Shui (8) Field Trips (1) Films / Películas (7) Geography / Geografía (3) Ghosts / Fantasmas (11) Grammar to Get by / Gramática para apañarse (66) Halloween / Noche de Ánimas (27) Health / Salud (2) History / Historia (32) Human Rights / Derechos Humanos (13) Inventions / Inventos (1) Ireland / Irlanda (9) Laws / Leyes (5) Legends / Leyendas (41) Listening / Escuchar (20) London / Londres (5) Maths / Matemáticas (4) Memes/Memes (2) Messages / Mensajes (4) Mini Calendar / Mini Calendario (10) Mini Mythology / Mini Mitología (77) Mini Zodiac / Mini Zodiaco (12) Mr. Eddy / El Señorito Eddy (5) Music (3) Music / Música (101) Needn´t Be Lost Causes / Causas No Necesariamente Perdidas (4) News / Noticias (25) Novels (6) Nursery Rhymes / Rimas para niños (16) Obituaries / Obituarios (6) Other Animals / Otros Animales (7) People/Gente (44) Plants / Plantas (11) Poems / Poesías (84) Poems / Recommended Reading / Lecturas Recomendadas (10) Poets/ Poetas (40) Precious and the Air / Preciosa y el Aire (4) Recipes / Recetas (19) Recommended Reading / Lecturas Recomendadas (22) Saints / Santos (22) Sayings and Saws and Proverbs and Quotes and Maxims / Dichos y refranes y proverbios y citas y máximas (9) Science / Ciencias (5) Scotland / Escocia (12) Shopping and gifts / Compras y regalos (7) Short Texts to Read / Breves textos que leer (24) Songs / Canciones (117) Speaking / Hablar (14) Special Days / Días Especiales (107) Sports / Deportes (9) Story report / ficha de un cuento (25) Tales of a Minced Forest/Cuentos del Bosque Triturado (119) Toora Chronicles / Crónicas Toora (245) Trailers (11) Valentine´s Day / Día de San Valentín (11) Vocabulary / Vocabulario (37) Wales / Gales (7) Winter /Invierno (1) Writing / Escribir (12)

Blogroll