English/Spanish blog from somewhere in La Mancha / Blog en inglés y español de un lugar de La Mancha

Welcome / Bienvenidos

Thanks for visiting us.
Gracias por visitarnos.
Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive

Sunday 11 November 2012

The Spectacle / El espectáculo

What happened when Arley arrived at Michael Toora’s Halloween party and we’re sorry we couldn’t tell you about until belated today. Although everyone had heard about it at the party, it should have been confidential and we weren't sure we should publish until today.

Lo que ocurrió cuando Arley llegó a la fiesta de Halloween de Michael Toora y que lamentamos no haber podido contaros hasta hoy. Aunque todo el mundo se enteró en la fiesta, tenía que haber sido algo confidencial y no estabamos seguros si se debía publicar hasta hoy.

Oberon

Arley! Why aren’t you wearing a costume? Come here and have a taste of my web. It´s both cotton candy and marshmallow.

¡Arley! ¿Por qué no llevas un disfraz? Ven aquí y prueba mi telaraña. Está hecha de algodón de azúcar y nubes.


Arley

Oh, I’ve come as a ventriloquist. This is my doll.

Oh, he venido disfrazado de ventríloquo. Este es mi muñeco.


Titania

Why, the doll is Dr. Freud! What an original idea! Are you going to entertain us?

¡Pero si el muñeco es el Doctor Freud! ¡Qué idea tan original! ¿Vas a actuar para nosotros?

Arley

Yes, especially you and Dad. I don’t know if you are aware that this summer, while I was in London for the fairylympics, I took the opportunity to visit Dr. Freud at his home there.

Sí, sobre todo para tí y para Papá. No sé si estáis enterados de que estuve en Londres este verano cuando las hadaolimpiadas y aproveché para acercarme a la casa que el Dr. Freud tiene allí.



As you all know, I have persistent nightmares that don’t allow me to live like the average fairy would and I felt it was time I learned what they were about, so last Christmas I asked the Magi for a consultation with Dr. Freud and the gift they gave me was a check to pay for it. But I also wanted to help Mr. Binky by giving him money to finance his school just as the parapsychologists Jemaniah and Minafer had suggested I do. I couldn’t help both myself and Mr. Binky, because all I could honestly have would be the amount Dr. Freud would charge to treat me. I decided that f it were small, I would use it to help myself. But if it turned out to be big, I would use it to help Mr. Binky.

Como todos saben, tengo pesadillas persistentes que me impiden vivir como lo hacen normalmente las hadas y pensé que ya era hora de que me enterase de por qué las tenía, así que las navidades pasadas pedí a los reyes magos una consulta con el Dr. Freud y el regalo que me dieron ellos fue un cheque en blanco para pagarla. Pero yo también quería ayudar al Sr. Binky dándole dinero para financiar su escuela tal y como sugirieron que hiciese los parapsicólogos Jemanías y Minafer. No podía ayudarme a mi mismo y al mismo tiempo al Sr. Binky porque en realidad, por muy en blanco que estuviese el cheque,  lo único a lo que tenía derecho era a la suma que cobraría el Dr. Freud por tratarme. Decidí que si esa suma resultaba ser pequeña, la emplearía en ayudarme a mí mismo, pero si era grande, se la daría al Sr. Binky.

So I asked Dr. Freud, who happened to be at home when I called, how much he would charge for a consultation. I thought it would be a lot of money because psychiatrists are said to be very expensive, but he hasn’t raised his fees since the year he died.

Así que le pregunté al Dr. Freud, que resultó estar en casa cuando fui allí, cuánto cobraba por una consulta. Yo pensaba que sería un montón de dinero porque los psiquiatras tienen fama de caros, pero resulta que él no ha subido sus honorarios desde que murió.

It was ridiculous to think I could finance Mr. Binky’s school with such a small sum. So I asked the good doctor for an appointment and he said he could receive me then and there because it was Sunday and on Sundays he doesn’t drop down to Hell to see his patients but it is ok for him to work. It seems most of his patients reside down there.

Era irisorio pensar que pudiese financiar la escuela del Sr. Binky con una suma tan pequeña. Así que le pedí cita al buen doctor, que dijo que me podía recibir ya mismo y ahí mismo porque era domingo y los domingos no baja al infierno a atender a sus pacientes pero puede trabajar. Por lo visto la mayoría de sus pacientes residen ahí abajo.



I lay down on his couch and told him all about my nightmares and he said it was all crystal clear to him. He said he had never seen as clear a case as mine since he had studied Hamlet’s, and he wouldn’t take my money because mine was a truly elegant case and he would like to use it as a classic example with my permission, of course.

Me tumbé en su diván y le conté todo sobre mis pesadillas y él dijo que no había visto un caso tan claro desde que estudió el de Hamlet. No quiso cobrarme nada porque, según él, el mío era un caso verdaderamente elegante y quería utilizarlo como ejemplo clásico, con mi permiso, claro está.

And now, with your permission, I will allow Dr. Freud to explain to you himself what he has concluded about my nightmares.

Y ahora, con vuestro permiso, le permitiré al Dr. Freud explicaros él mismo lo que ha concluido sobre mis pesadillas.


Dr. Freud

The patient complains that he cannot sleep when in his home in Apple Island without having a recurring nightmare. He can only avoid having this nightmare when he sleeps in a car parked in the garage of a human. Now, to my knowledge, the Apple Island Housing Project – an ideal home for every member of the fairy family – is the basis of Queen Titania’s political policy. The queen intends to protect her subjects from human expansionism creating an ultra luxurious reserve on this island. Apple Island is the place where this lady wishes to keep and protect her people like a mother keeps and protects her child in her womb. And since the patient cannot rest peacefully in his mother’s womb – that is, in Apple Island - it is clear he doesn’t think he belongs there. He thinks he belongs in a human womb, as symbolized by the car and the garage of a human female, which is the place where he can rest in peace.

El paciente se queja de que no puede dormir cuando está en su casa de Isla Manzana sin sufrir una pesadilla recurrente. Sólo puede evitar sufrir está pesadilla cuando duerme en un coche aparcado en el garaje de una mortal. Que yo sepa, el Proyecto de Viviendas de Isla Manzana – un hogar ideal para cada miembro de la familia de las hadas - es la base de la política de la reina Titania. La reina desea poner a sus súbditos a salvo del expansionismo de los humanos creando una reserva lujosísima en esta isla. Isla Manzana es el lugar en el que esta mujer quiere guardar y proteger a los suyos como una madre con su hijo en el vientre. Y como el paciente no puede reposar tranquilo en el vientre de su madre – es decir, en Isla Manzana - está claro que piensa que no pertenece allí. Cree que su lugar es el vientre de una madre humana, simbolizado por el coche y el garaje donde sí puede descansar en paz.

Arley

To get rid of my nightmare, I must find out where I really belong. When my nightmare begins, I find I am inside a box without a lid. The box is moving forward in space and I feel a little strange because it is dark and I don’t know where I am going.

Para deshacerme de mi pesadilla, primero tengo que averiguar dónde pertenezco realmente. Cuando comienza mi pesadilla, estoy metido dentro de una caja sin tapa. La caja se mueve hacia adelante en el espacio y yo me siento un poco extraño porque está muy oscuro y no se a donde voy.



I look up and suddenly I see something round and white that pours light on me, and I know it is the moon, but I don’t really know that it is in my nightmare because I haven’t seen it before, as if I had never been out at night before, and I am wondering what that thing is.

Miro hacia arriba y de pronto veo algo redondo y blanco que echa luz sobre mí, y sé que es la luna, pero en mi pesadilla no lo sé realmente porque nunca he visto la luna antes, como si nunca hubiese salido de noche antes, y me estoy preguntando que puede ser esa cosa.

I sense – I know – there are people present near me, but they are silent. Very, very silent, advancing, moving forward in dead silence.

Siento – sé – que hay gente a mi alrededor, pero están en silencio. Muy, muy callados, avanzando, moviéndose hacia adelante en un silencio sepulcral.

Suddenly, the silence shatters like glass. What I hear is crying. Not sad crying, but angry, hysterical crying, demanding crying that gets louder and louder and becomes utterly unbearable. Someone is in a rage, but doesn’t say, or can’t say why.



De pronto, el silencio se rompe en pedazos como un cristal. Lo que oigo son llantos, pero no llantos de tristeza sino llantos furibundos e histéricos, exigentes, que cada vez se hacen más y más fuertes y se vuelven intolerables. Alguién está furioso, pero no dice, o no puede decir por qué.

My ears hurt. And when I think I can’t bear to hear the wailing and bawling any longer, the box I am in comes to a halt with a screech and a jolt and a woman’s voice rises above the screaming and says ferociously: “Over my dead body will they take my child!” And I wake up bathed in cold sweat...

Mis oidos me duelen mucho. Y cuando pienso que ya no puedo soportar más los gritos, la caja en la que estoy para en seco de moverse con un crujido y un golpe y la voz de una mujer se alza por encima de los llantos y dice ferozmente: “¡Si se llevan a mi hijo, será por encima de mi cadáver!” Y yo me despierto bañado en sudor frío...



The photos of the Freud Museum, the moon and the shattered glass we found on Images from the Internet.

Las fotos de la casa museo del Dr. Freud, de la luna y del cristal roto las encontramos en Imágenes de Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Comments are very welcome. Thank you. / ¡Hola! Los comentarios son muy bienvenidos.Gracias.

Labels

Advent Calendar/Calendario de adviento (25) Animal rights / Derechos de los Animales (6) Art / Arte (14) Astronomy / Astronomía (8) Australia /Australia (2) Authors (21) Birthdays / Cumpleaños (30) Carnival / Carnaval (4) Christmas / Navidad (36) Compositions / Redacciones (14) Condolences / Condolencias (5) Constitutionalism / Constitucionalismo (4) Contests / Concursos (2) Coronations/Coronaciones (1) Ecology / Ecología (3) Extracurricular Activities / Actividades Extraescolares (8) Feng Shui (8) Field Trips (1) Films / Películas (7) Geography / Geografía (3) Ghosts / Fantasmas (11) Grammar to Get by / Gramática para apañarse (66) Halloween / Noche de Ánimas (27) Health / Salud (2) History / Historia (32) Human Rights / Derechos Humanos (13) Inventions / Inventos (1) Ireland / Irlanda (9) Laws / Leyes (5) Legends / Leyendas (41) Listening / Escuchar (20) London / Londres (5) Maths / Matemáticas (4) Memes/Memes (2) Messages / Mensajes (4) Mini Calendar / Mini Calendario (10) Mini Mythology / Mini Mitología (77) Mini Zodiac / Mini Zodiaco (12) Mr. Eddy / El Señorito Eddy (5) Music (3) Music / Música (101) Needn´t Be Lost Causes / Causas No Necesariamente Perdidas (4) News / Noticias (25) Novels (6) Nursery Rhymes / Rimas para niños (16) Obituaries / Obituarios (6) Other Animals / Otros Animales (7) People/Gente (44) Plants / Plantas (11) Poems / Poesías (84) Poems / Recommended Reading / Lecturas Recomendadas (10) Poets/ Poetas (40) Precious and the Air / Preciosa y el Aire (4) Recipes / Recetas (19) Recommended Reading / Lecturas Recomendadas (22) Saints / Santos (22) Sayings and Saws and Proverbs and Quotes and Maxims / Dichos y refranes y proverbios y citas y máximas (9) Science / Ciencias (5) Scotland / Escocia (12) Shopping and gifts / Compras y regalos (7) Short Texts to Read / Breves textos que leer (24) Songs / Canciones (117) Speaking / Hablar (14) Special Days / Días Especiales (107) Sports / Deportes (9) Story report / ficha de un cuento (25) Tales of a Minced Forest/Cuentos del Bosque Triturado (118) Toora Chronicles / Crónicas Toora (245) Trailers (11) Valentine´s Day / Día de San Valentín (11) Vocabulary / Vocabulario (37) Wales / Gales (7) Winter /Invierno (1) Writing / Escribir (12)

Blogroll