English/Spanish blog from somewhere in La Mancha / Blog en inglés y español de un lugar de La Mancha

Welcome / Bienvenidos

Thanks for visiting us.
Gracias por visitarnos.
Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive

Wednesday 23 December 2009

Sagittarius / Sagitario




Hi. I am Chiron the Archer, first of the Centaurs, physican, sportsman, musician and possibly the most famous teacher in Greek mythology. I count among my many talented pupils the heroes Hercules, Achilles, Jason and Peleus and the god of medicine, Aesclepius.



Hola. Soy Quirón, el Arquero, el primero de los centauros, médico, músico y deportista y posiblemente el más famoso de los maestros de la mitología griega. Entre mis aventajados discípulos se encuentran los heroes Herakles, Aquiles. Jasón y Peleo y el dios de la medicina Asclepio.



Why am I up in the firmanent? Unlike the other centaurs, I was born immortal. But one day Herakles wounded me accidentally with an arrow he had dipped in the venom of the Hydra. Since I was immortal, I could not die. But my wound was so painful life became unbearable for me.



¿Por qué estoy en el firmamento? Yo nací inmortal, y no mortal como los otros centauros. Pero un día Heracles me hirió sin querer con una flecha untada en el veneno de la Hidra de Lerna. Como era inmortal, no llegué a morir, pero el dolor de mi herida era tan intenso que la vida se me hizo insoportable.



For a time I was thought there was no one in the world who suffered more than I did, but there was. This was Prometheus, whose liver was perpetually being gnawed by an eagle. When I realized how Prometheus suffered, I sympathized with him. In fact, I felt so sorry for him that I called on my half-brother Zeus and spoke in his behalf. I offered to give up my gift of immortality if Zeus would release Prometheus.



Durante un tiempo pensé que no había nadie en el mundo que pudiese estar sufriendo más que yo, pero lo había. Era Prometeo, cuyo hígado estaba siendo perpetuamente picoteado por un águila. Cuando me dí cuenta de lo mucho que sufría Prometeo, simpaticé con él. Lo sentí tanto por él, que visité a mi hermanastro, Zeus, y le hablé a favor de Prometeo. Ofrecí renunciar a mi inmortalidad si Zeus soltaba a Prometeo.



Zeus was touched by my noble gesture. I died, Prometheus was released, and then Zeus put me up among the stars so that people would remember how I had sacrificed myself to save another. I pass the time up here shooting at shooting stars.


Zeus se conmovió ante mi noble gesto. Yo llegué a morir, Prometeo fue liberado y entonces Zeus me dió un lugar entre las estrellas para que todos recordasen cómo me había sacrificado para salvar a otro. Ahora paso el tiempo disparando a las estrellas fugaces.



Sixteen of my stars have planets, more than any other constellation. And my brightest stars form an asterism called "The Teapot."
Dieciseis de mis estrellas tienen planetas, mas que cualquier otra constelación. Y las mas brillantes de mis estrellas forman un asterismo llamado "La Tetera."





Mini Quiz

True or false / Verdadero o falso.
1. Chiron was the last of the centaurs. / Quirón era el último de los centauros.
2. Chiron had many famous pupils. / Quirón tenía muchos alumnos famosos.
3. All the centaurs were immortal. / Todos los centauros son inmortales.
4. Herakles argued with his teacher and attacked him. / Heracles discutió con su maestro y le atacó.
5. Chiron´s wound was unbearbly painful. / La herida de Quirón era insoportablemente dolorosa.
6. Prometheus did not suffer half as much as Chiron. / Prometeo no sufría ni la mitad que Quirón.
7. Prometheus gave his life to free Chiron from his suffering. / Prometeo dió su vida para liberar a Quirón de su sufrimiento.

Prize questions / Preguntas con premio:

8. Who is the girl in the mini drawing? / ¿Quién es la chica del mini dibujo?
9. What is an asterism? / ¿Qué es un asterismo?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Comments are very welcome. Thank you. / ¡Hola! Los comentarios son muy bienvenidos.Gracias.

Labels

Advent Calendar/Calendario de adviento (25) Animal rights / Derechos de los Animales (6) Art / Arte (14) Astronomy / Astronomía (8) Australia /Australia (2) Authors (21) Birthdays / Cumpleaños (30) Carnival / Carnaval (4) Christmas / Navidad (36) Compositions / Redacciones (14) Condolences / Condolencias (5) Constitutionalism / Constitucionalismo (4) Contests / Concursos (2) Coronations/Coronaciones (1) Ecology / Ecología (3) Extracurricular Activities / Actividades Extraescolares (8) Feng Shui (8) Field Trips (1) Films / Películas (7) Geography / Geografía (3) Ghosts / Fantasmas (11) Grammar to Get by / Gramática para apañarse (66) Halloween / Noche de Ánimas (27) Health / Salud (2) History / Historia (32) Human Rights / Derechos Humanos (13) Inventions / Inventos (1) Ireland / Irlanda (9) Laws / Leyes (5) Legends / Leyendas (41) Listening / Escuchar (20) London / Londres (5) Maths / Matemáticas (4) Memes/Memes (2) Messages / Mensajes (4) Mini Calendar / Mini Calendario (10) Mini Mythology / Mini Mitología (77) Mini Zodiac / Mini Zodiaco (12) Mr. Eddy / El Señorito Eddy (5) Music (3) Music / Música (101) Needn´t Be Lost Causes / Causas No Necesariamente Perdidas (4) News / Noticias (25) Novels (6) Nursery Rhymes / Rimas para niños (16) Obituaries / Obituarios (6) Other Animals / Otros Animales (7) People/Gente (44) Plants / Plantas (11) Poems / Poesías (84) Poems / Recommended Reading / Lecturas Recomendadas (10) Poets/ Poetas (40) Precious and the Air / Preciosa y el Aire (4) Recipes / Recetas (19) Recommended Reading / Lecturas Recomendadas (22) Saints / Santos (22) Sayings and Saws and Proverbs and Quotes and Maxims / Dichos y refranes y proverbios y citas y máximas (9) Science / Ciencias (5) Scotland / Escocia (12) Shopping and gifts / Compras y regalos (7) Short Texts to Read / Breves textos que leer (24) Songs / Canciones (117) Speaking / Hablar (14) Special Days / Días Especiales (107) Sports / Deportes (9) Story report / ficha de un cuento (25) Tales of a Minced Forest/Cuentos del Bosque Triturado (119) Toora Chronicles / Crónicas Toora (245) Trailers (11) Valentine´s Day / Día de San Valentín (11) Vocabulary / Vocabulario (37) Wales / Gales (7) Winter /Invierno (1) Writing / Escribir (12)

Blogroll