English/Spanish blog from somewhere in La Mancha / Blog en inglés y español de un lugar de La Mancha

Welcome / Bienvenidos

Thanks for visiting us.
Gracias por visitarnos.
Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive

Sunday 23 August 2009

Virgo / Virgo






Hestia

Virgo is several of us. And some of us are here to explain what this constellation is about. In one word, it´s about independence. I´m Hestia, the goddess of home and hearth. Apollo, god of the sun (Mini Mythology IX, July 2008) and Poseidon, god of the sea, both wanted to marry me. I saw at once they were more interested in competing with each other than in making me happy. I decided not to chose between them. Instead of having my own home, I decided to dedicate my time and effort to making other people happy. I couldn´t change the world. But I could help people make a haven of their homes. I´m the goddess who makes your home feel safe and cosy. People say I´m nice to everyone and am kind and warm. Tradition says that all you have to do to feel my comforting presence is light a little orange candle.

Virgo somos varias. Y algunas de nosotras estamos aquí para explicar de qué va esta constelación. En una sóla palabra, va de independencia. Yo soy Hestia, la diosa del hogar. Apolo, dios del sol (Mini Mitología IX, julio del 2008) y Poseidón, dios del mar, quisieron casarse conmigo. En seguida me di cuenta de que estaban más interesados en competir entre sí que en hacerme feliz. Decidí no elegir entre ellos. En vez de tener mi propio hogar, decidí dedicar mi tiempo y mi esfuerzo a hacer felices a los demás. No podía cambiar el mundo. Pero podía hacer de los hogares un buen refugio. Soy la diosa que hace que tu hogar sea cálido y acogedor. La gente dice que soy buena con todos y que soy agradable y cálida. La tradición dice que para sentir mi reconfortante presencia lo único que tienes que hacer es encender una velita, preferiblemente de color naranja.



Artemis

Nobody has ever dared tell me how to live my life. Even Zeus couldn´t refuse me my independence. And be warned... awful things happen to those who invade my privacy. Ah, I´ve been in this blog before...in August, 2008, Mini Mythology X.

Nadie se ha atrevido a decirme cómo tengo que vivir mi vida. Ni el mismo Zeus pudo negarme mi independencia. Y quedáis advertidos... tarde o temprano cosas terribles suceden a quienes invaden mi intimidad. Ah, he estado antes en este blog... en agosto del 2008, Mini Mitología X.

Astraea

My name means "starry maiden." I´m virtue herself. I have the answers to most of the world´s problems. But I´m not popular. People would rather make their own mistakes than listen to my suggestions. I got tired of being insulted at worst and at best ignored. I left the earth and moved to live on the moon.

Mi nombre significa "doncella de las estrellas." Soy la virtud personificada. Tengo la respuesta a casi todos los problemas de la humanidad. Pero no soy popular. La gente prefiere cometer sus propios errores a seguir mis sugerencias. Me harté de que me insultasen a lo peor y me ninguneasen a lo mejor. Abandoné la tierra y me fui a vivir a la luna.


Kore

Often Virgo is depicted holding a corn cob or a sheaf of corn. It´s because of me. You know who I am. I´m Demeter´s daughter and Hades´wife (Mini Mythology), Persephone or Proserpine. People also call me Kore, which means "the maiden." I am the goddess of the harvest, and Virgo is present in September, which is harvestime in many countries. I may not look very independent. It may look like I am always being bossed around by my mother and my husband, but the truth is they can´t do without me. My mother was in this blog in May 2008, Mini Mythology VII and my husband and I were featured in October, 2008, Mini Mythology XII.

Con frecuencia retratan a Virgo con maíz o trigo en la mano. Es por mí. Sabéis quién soy. Soy la hija de Demeter y la esposa de Hades (Mini Mitología ), Perséfone o Proserpina. La gente me dice Kore, que significa "la doncella." Yo soy la diosa de la cosecha, y Virgo está presente en el cielo en septiembre, que es el mes de la cosecha en muchos países. Puede que no parezca muy independiente y que siempre me están mandurreando mi madre y mi marido. Pero son ellos los que no pueden vivir sin mi. Mi madre estuvo en este blog en mayo del 2008, Mini Mitología VII y mi marido y yo aparecimos en octubre del mismo año, Mini Mitología XII.

Dicea

If there is anyone that has to be independent that is a judge. I´m Dicea, the goddess of justice. I won´t say more about myself now, because I´ll be back late in September to do Libra.

Si alguien hay que ha de ser independiente, es un juez. Soy Dicea, la diosa de la justicia. No hablaré más sobre mi hoy, porque he de volver tarde en septiembre para explicar Libra.

Mini Quiz

Say if these statements are true or false. Sustain your answers with information from the text.
/Verdadero o falso. Justifica tus respuestas con información procedente del texto.

1. Apollo and Poseidon wanted to marry Astraea. / Apolo y Poseidón quisieron casarse con Astraea.
2. Hestia is the goddess of fire. / Hestia es la diosa del fuego.
3. Terrible things have happened to people who provoked Artemis. / Cosas terribles han sucedido a quienes han provocado a Artemisa.
4. Kore is the goddess of the harvest, which takes place early in June. / Kore es la diosa de la cosecha, que suele ser temprano en junio.
5. The goddess of justice has to be totally independent. / La diosa de la justicia tiene que ser totalmente independiente.

Say if these statements are true or false. Explain your answers. You may have to find the facts to sustain your answers on the Internet. / Verdadero o falso. Justifica tus respuestas. La información que necesitas no está en el texto. Puede que tengas que utilizar Internet.

6. Virgo is the largest constellation. / Virgo es la constelación más grande.
7. Virgo is rich in galaxies. / Virgo es rica en galaxias.
8. One of Virgo´s most famous constellations is the Derby Galaxy. / Una de las galaxias más famosas de Virgo es la llamada Galaxia Hongo.
9. My most famous star is Spica, the ear of wheat. / La más famosa de mis estrellas es Spica, la espiga de trigo.

Prize Question: / Pregunta con Premio:

This picture is from the Wikipedia. What is it of? / Esta foto es de la Wikipedia. ¿De qué es?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Comments are very welcome. Thank you. / ¡Hola! Los comentarios son muy bienvenidos.Gracias.

Labels

Advent Calendar/Calendario de adviento (25) Animal rights / Derechos de los Animales (6) Art / Arte (14) Astronomy / Astronomía (8) Australia /Australia (2) Authors (21) Birthdays / Cumpleaños (30) Carnival / Carnaval (4) Christmas / Navidad (36) Compositions / Redacciones (14) Condolences / Condolencias (5) Constitutionalism / Constitucionalismo (4) Contests / Concursos (2) Coronations/Coronaciones (1) Ecology / Ecología (3) Extracurricular Activities / Actividades Extraescolares (8) Feng Shui (8) Field Trips (1) Films / Películas (7) Geography / Geografía (3) Ghosts / Fantasmas (11) Grammar to Get by / Gramática para apañarse (66) Halloween / Noche de Ánimas (27) Health / Salud (2) History / Historia (32) Human Rights / Derechos Humanos (13) Inventions / Inventos (1) Ireland / Irlanda (9) Laws / Leyes (5) Legends / Leyendas (41) Listening / Escuchar (20) London / Londres (5) Maths / Matemáticas (4) Memes/Memes (2) Messages / Mensajes (4) Mini Calendar / Mini Calendario (10) Mini Mythology / Mini Mitología (77) Mini Zodiac / Mini Zodiaco (12) Mr. Eddy / El Señorito Eddy (5) Music (3) Music / Música (101) Needn´t Be Lost Causes / Causas No Necesariamente Perdidas (4) News / Noticias (25) Novels (6) Nursery Rhymes / Rimas para niños (16) Obituaries / Obituarios (6) Other Animals / Otros Animales (7) People/Gente (44) Plants / Plantas (11) Poems / Poesías (84) Poems / Recommended Reading / Lecturas Recomendadas (10) Poets/ Poetas (40) Precious and the Air / Preciosa y el Aire (4) Recipes / Recetas (19) Recommended Reading / Lecturas Recomendadas (22) Saints / Santos (22) Sayings and Saws and Proverbs and Quotes and Maxims / Dichos y refranes y proverbios y citas y máximas (9) Science / Ciencias (5) Scotland / Escocia (12) Shopping and gifts / Compras y regalos (7) Short Texts to Read / Breves textos que leer (24) Songs / Canciones (117) Speaking / Hablar (14) Special Days / Días Especiales (107) Sports / Deportes (9) Story report / ficha de un cuento (25) Tales of a Minced Forest/Cuentos del Bosque Triturado (118) Toora Chronicles / Crónicas Toora (245) Trailers (11) Valentine´s Day / Día de San Valentín (11) Vocabulary / Vocabulario (37) Wales / Gales (7) Winter /Invierno (1) Writing / Escribir (12)

Blogroll