English/Spanish blog from somewhere in La Mancha / Blog en inglés y español de un lugar de La Mancha

Welcome / Bienvenidos

Thanks for visiting us.
Gracias por visitarnos.
Powered By Blogger

Blog Archive

Monday 16 March 2009

Mr. Eddy III - Early Years / Primeros Años


Don Quijote: The first question is obvious. Tell us where and when you were born, about your childhood... / La primera pregunta es evidente. Díganos dónde y cuando nacíó, hablénos de su niñez...

Mr. Eddy: I was born on January 19th, 1809 in Boston, Massachusetts. My parents, Elizabeth and David, were actors. I had an elder brother and a younger sister. My father abandoned us when I was a year old and my mother died soon after of consumption. / Nací el 19 de enero de 1809 en Boston, Massachusetts. Mis padres, Elizabeth y David, eran actores. Tenía un hermano mayor y una hermana menor. Mi padre nos abandonó cuando yo tenía un año y mi madre se murió de tuberculosis poco después.

Don Quijote: Your mother was the first of the women you loved and lost, wasn´t she? / Su madre fué la primera de las mujeres que amó usted y perdió, no es así?




Mr. Eddy: That´s right. Perhaps that´s why I later wrote so much about beautiful women who die. But first I want to tell you about the Allan family. What was left of my family split up after my mother´s death. Each of us children went to live with a different family. I was taken in by a wealthy merchant named John Allan. / Cierto. Tal vez es por eso que luego he escrito tanto sobre mujeres hermosas que mueren. Pero primero quiero hablaros de la familia Allan. Lo que quedaba de mi familia se deshizo despues de la muerte de mi madre. Cada uno de los hermanos se fue a vivir con una familia distinta. A mi me acogió un comerciante rico llamado John Allan.



We lived in Richmond, Virginia. He never really adopted me, but he gave me my middle name. That´s why I´m Edgar Allan Poe. The Allan family moved to England in 1815. I went with them. I went to school for a time both in Scotland and England. We were in Britain for about five years and then we returned to Richmond, where Mr. Allan inherited a fortune from an uncle who was one of the wealthiest men in Virginia. / Vivíamos en Richmond, Virginia. Él nunca me adoptó legalmente, pero me dió su apellido. Por eso soy Edgar Allan Poe. La familia Allan se mudó a Inglaterra en 1815. Yo fui con ellos. Por un tiempo asistí a colegios en Escocia y en Inglaterra. Pasamos unos cinco años en Gran Bretaña y despues volvimos a Richmond, donde el Sr. Allan heredó una fortuna de un tío, que era uno de los hombres más ricos de América.
Don Quijote: Were you already interested in the supernatural when you were a boy? / ¿Le interesaba ya lo sobrenatural cuando era niño?
Mr. Eddy: One time I wrapped myself up in a sheet and gave Mr. Allan and his friends a fright while they were gambling. They took me for a real ghost. I suppose I´ve always had a gift for frightening people. / Un día me disfracé con una sábana y di al Sr. Allan y a sus amigos un susto tremendo mientras jugaban a las cartas. Me tomaron por un auténtico fantasma. Supongo que siempre he tenido un don para asustar a la gente.
Sancho Panza: When you were back in Richmond you enrolled at the University of Virginia, didn´t you? / ¿Cuando volvió a Richmond se matriculó en la Universidad de Virginia, no?

Mr. Eddy: Yes. To study languages. / Sí, para estudiar idiomas.
Sancho Panza: It was full of spoiled rich kids, wasn´t it? / Estaba llena de niñatos ricos y malcriados, ¿no?

Mr. Eddy: Well, young men sow a lot of wild oats. Mr. Allan didn´t give me as much money as some of my schoolmates got from their parents, but I wanted to have the same things they did. It´s only natural when you´re a teenager to want to be like the rest. I soon had a lot of gambling debts and Mr. Allan didn´t want to pay them. I fought with Mr. Allan and found myself on my own. /Bueno, los jóvenes hacen muchas tonterías antes de madurar. El Sr. Allan no me daba tanto dinero como recibían algunos de mis compañeros de estudios de sus padres, pero yo quería tener las mismas cosas que ellos. Es sólo natural querer ser como los demás cuando eres adolescente. Pronto acumulé gran cantidad de deudas de juego y el Sr. Allan no quería pagarlas. Nos peleamos y me encontré sólo, buscándome la vida por mi cuenta.

Don Quijote: About this time you also lost another woman you loved, I think. /Creo que fue por entonces cuando perdió usted a otra mujer amada.

Mr. Eddy: Sarah Elmira Royster. Her family didn´t approve of me. They thought I wasn´t good enough for her. Her father must have destroyed my letters to her or something of the kind because she married another man. / Sarah Elmira Royster. A su familia yo no le gustaba. Pensaban que no era lo bastante bueno para ella. Su padre debió destruir las cartas que yo la enviaba o algo así porque ella se casó con otro hombre.


Sancho Panza: To support yourself, you joined the army. / Para mantenerse, se alistó en el ejército.

Mr. Eddy: First I tried to earn a living working as a clerk and as a newspaper writer. But I earned so little that yes, I decided to join the army. I was only 18, but I lied and they accepted me. I rose to sargeant-major. That was as high as I could get on my own, so I appealed to Mr. Allan who agreed to send me to West Point. / Primero intenté ganarme la vida como oficinista y como periodista. Pero ganaba tan poco dinero que, sí, decidí alistarme en el ejército. Sólo tenía 18 años pero mentí para que me admitiesen. Me ascendieron a sargento mayor. No podía llegar más lejos por mi cuenta, así que apelé al Sr. Allan que accedió a mandarme a Westpoint.

Sancho Panza: Westpoint is the famous American military academy. / Westpoint es la famosa academia militar norteamericana.
Mr. Eddy: I didn´t get to graduate. I fought with Mr. Allan again over money and other things. I knew I would have to leave West Point because I was broke, so I decided to do it dramatically by getting myself courtmartialled and expelled. / No llegué a graduarme. Discutí con el Sr. Allan una vez mas sobre dinero y otras cosas. Sabía que tendría que dejar Westpoint porque estaba arruinado económicamente, así que decidí hacerlo a lo grande, haciendo alguna locura para que me juzgase un tribunal militar y me expulsase.

Sancho Panza: But you made friends there. / Pero hizo amigos allí.

Mr. Eddy: My fellow cadets each contributed 75 cents to help me publish a book of my poems. / Mis colegas, los cadetes, contribuyeron cada uno 75 céntimos para que pudiese publicar un libro de poemas.
Sancho Panza: And then you became the first known American to try and earn a living only by writing. / Y entonces se convirtió en el primer americano conocido que intentó ganarse la vida únicamente escribiendo.

(Coming up, Mr. Eddy -Part IV / Continuará con Mr. Eddy IV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Comments are very welcome. Thank you. / ¡Hola! Los comentarios son muy bienvenidos.Gracias.

Labels

Advent Calendar/Calendario de adviento (25) Animal rights / Derechos de los Animales (6) Art / Arte (14) Astronomy / Astronomía (8) Australia /Australia (2) Authors (21) Birthdays / Cumpleaños (30) Carnival / Carnaval (4) Christmas / Navidad (36) Compositions / Redacciones (14) Condolences / Condolencias (5) Constitutionalism / Constitucionalismo (4) Contests / Concursos (2) Coronations/Coronaciones (1) Ecology / Ecología (3) Extracurricular Activities / Actividades Extraescolares (8) Feng Shui (8) Field Trips (1) Films / Películas (7) Geography / Geografía (3) Ghosts / Fantasmas (11) Grammar to Get by / Gramática para apañarse (66) Halloween / Noche de Ánimas (27) Health / Salud (2) History / Historia (32) Human Rights / Derechos Humanos (13) Inventions / Inventos (1) Ireland / Irlanda (9) Laws / Leyes (5) Legends / Leyendas (41) Listening / Escuchar (20) London / Londres (5) Maths / Matemáticas (4) Memes/Memes (2) Messages / Mensajes (4) Mini Calendar / Mini Calendario (10) Mini Mythology / Mini Mitología (77) Mini Zodiac / Mini Zodiaco (12) Mr. Eddy / El Señorito Eddy (5) Music (3) Music / Música (101) Needn´t Be Lost Causes / Causas No Necesariamente Perdidas (4) News / Noticias (25) Novels (6) Nursery Rhymes / Rimas para niños (16) Obituaries / Obituarios (6) Other Animals / Otros Animales (7) People/Gente (44) Plants / Plantas (11) Poems / Poesías (84) Poems / Recommended Reading / Lecturas Recomendadas (10) Poets/ Poetas (40) Precious and the Air / Preciosa y el Aire (4) Recipes / Recetas (19) Recommended Reading / Lecturas Recomendadas (22) Saints / Santos (22) Sayings and Saws and Proverbs and Quotes and Maxims / Dichos y refranes y proverbios y citas y máximas (9) Science / Ciencias (5) Scotland / Escocia (12) Shopping and gifts / Compras y regalos (7) Short Texts to Read / Breves textos que leer (24) Songs / Canciones (117) Speaking / Hablar (14) Special Days / Días Especiales (107) Sports / Deportes (9) Story report / ficha de un cuento (25) Tales of a Minced Forest/Cuentos del Bosque Triturado (119) Toora Chronicles / Crónicas Toora (245) Trailers (11) Valentine´s Day / Día de San Valentín (11) Vocabulary / Vocabulario (37) Wales / Gales (7) Winter /Invierno (1) Writing / Escribir (12)

Blogroll